GROMACS version

Gromacs is available on lenny as version 3.3., while on squeeze
version 4.0 is provided. Assuming that version 4.0 will never be
provided for stable Debian:

I do not know which problems are faced by maintainers to provide
version 4.0 for lenny. If no problem exists (as obviously it is the
case), I am against this policy by Debian. What can I do with gromacs
version 4.0 on my desktop which runs on squeeze i386? while I would be
happy to save time in compiling version 4.o for the parallel machine,
running on amd64. In other words, computational software such as
gromacs makes sense only on parallel machines, and these are run on
stable debian. Who is running a number-crunching machine on squeeze?

thanks for attention to this (recurring) problem.

francesco pietra