Re: simple batch queue system?

On 22 July 2009 at 16:32, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
| On 22/07/09 at 12:30 +0200, Teemu Ikonen wrote:
| > Hi Debian scientists,
| >
| > I'm in the market for a simple job scheduler for a set of work nodes
| > in the 'cloud' (i.e. EC2). A queue for submitted non-parallel jobs,
| > commands to insert and delete jobs, and simple first-come, first
| > served scheduling is what I'm looking for. Starting and stopping node
| > instances by demand would be a nice bonus, but not absolutely needed
| > right now.
| >
| > I'm sure gridengine or slurm could do what I need, but it also looks
| > like they need significant effort to set up. Are there any other
| > open-source options? If not, does anyone have tips for running, say
| > slurm with EC2 compute nodes?
|
| OAR <http://oar.imag.fr>. Not packaged in Debian, but there are
| unofficial Debian packages. Requires Perl + MySQL.

I was about to suggest that having met one of Lucas' colleagues at the GSoC
mentor summit last year :-)

Another entry from France was presented in one of the UseR! 2009 sessions:
http://www.agrocampus-ouest.fr/math/useR-2009/slides/Etienne+Corvazier+Legros.pdf

Their code is at http://code.google.com/p/coalition/ --- it uses Python and
Twisted (which we have) and two simple scripts and is not be tied to R per
se.  Nice simple web frontend.

Dirk