simple batch queue system?

Hi Debian scientists,

I'm in the market for a simple job scheduler for a set of work nodes
in the 'cloud' (i.e. EC2). A queue for submitted non-parallel jobs,
commands to insert and delete jobs, and simple first-come, first
served scheduling is what I'm looking for. Starting and stopping node
instances by demand would be a nice bonus, but not absolutely needed
right now.

I'm sure gridengine or slurm could do what I need, but it also looks
like they need significant effort to set up. Are there any other
open-source options? If not, does anyone have tips for running, say
slurm with EC2 compute nodes?

Teemu