Re: OpenMPI transition

Am Sonntag, den 07.06.2009, 13:23 -0500 schrieb Steve M. Robbins:
> It turned out that I had libmpich1.0-dev installed as well as OpenMPI
> and the former was a higher priority than OpenMPI.  Is that a
> manifestation of the bug you mean?

Yes. Kind of. The bug results from cruft left around by some MPI package
in ancient times. update-alternatives just started to check for things
like that recently. This is why it popped up now.

The problem you encountered seems somewhat orthogonal. The MPI packages
in Debian use the alternatives system in a way that is IMNSHO very, very
wrong. Fixing this will need changes in several/all MPI packages. This
needs some discussion and coordination. It's unfortunately not solvable
with a single upload.

> I solved it by configuring my system to force OpenMPI.  But that's not
> a general solution.  How is this to be solved?

I hope to be able to write up a proposal to solve this issue in a IMHO
sane way and will put it for discussion here. After consensus is
reached, I will coordinate the actions that need to be taken.

At the moment, my Debian cicles are very limited, so do not expect
things too soon. It's high priority on my list, but it needs some more
time since the issue is not that easy to resolve, I fear.

Best regards
Manuel