Visualising multi-variable higher-degree polynomials?

Greetings All!

I was wondering whether anyone knew of a FOSS tool for visualising
multi-variable higher-degree polynomials (eg. y^4 + y^3 = x^2 +3x + z
+ z^8)?

Most 3D plotting software can only handle a function, so in order to
plot it I'd have to solve the equation for all solutions and then
superimpose all of them, which is rather tedious.

povray has poly object
(http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/74/), but it is also
problematic: It can only handle whole exponents and since povray
generates an image from a specific point of view, is also tedious to
use.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Christopher

--