Re: [Help] Bothering ng-spice authors for license clarification (Was: ng-spice-rework_18.dfsg-1_i386.changes REJECTED)

Hi Andreas

I sent the following text to the "Ngspice developers mailing list."
<ngspice-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>

"Hi
   I'm sorry to say that the Debian package of ngspice was rejected again. One
problem is the Cider license:
(a)  The recipient agrees not to charge for the University of
     California code itself.  The recipient may, however, charge
     for additions, extensions, or support.

The explanation from the legal team is the following:
"which is non-free. If the intention was to have something like the MIT
style, "free of charge", then the wording from there should be
copied. But the above is non-free, as it forbids to sell the code."

Then the following clause in the documentation license is also considered as
non-free:
"Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and
its documentation for educational, research and non-profit
purposes, without fee, and without a written agreement is hereby
granted, provided that the above copyright notice, this paragraph
and the following three paragraphs appear in all copies."

Can you please tell me if there is any possibility of license change of these
parts? The package qualifies into Debian non-free but the question is if I
should make an extra package without ciderlib and documentation that
qualifies into the main distribution if the license will not be changed. Do
you have any suggestions?

Thanks
Gudjon"

I hope they answer soon.