Re: Grid tasks

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 02:28:08PM +0100, Steffen Moeller wrote:
> > Would there be support for creating a grid task, and splitting it this way?
> >
> > Currently the packages are in the new queue. Should I wait until they
> > actually reach unstable before creating the task? Are there any other
> > obvious candidate packages?
>
> I don't think that there is such a thing like "the Grid". We should wait a bit longer to
> see how the world evolves around the concepts associated with grids (X.509 certificates,
> virtual organisations, ...). To me, mere computations are what may initially drive us, but
> there should be more to come.

I'm not sure about that.  There's a whole lot of inertia behind things
like the Open Science Grid (http://www.opensciencegrid.org/).  My site,
with a Debian-based Condor cluster, is considering joining it right now.
If we can make it easier for people to build clusters that can easily be
added to such a grid, we should.

Additionally, I'd argue that "The Grid" could pretty easily refer to a
site-local grid.  A workstation joined to a local cluster doesn't really
need to care about whether it's part of something larger or not.

noah
(who should probably go sign up for debian-science at this point...)