Re: Full paper-to-bibliography toolchain

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Ross Boylan <ross@biostat.ucsf.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-03-14 at 21:41 -0500, Bryan Bishop wrote:
>> So to clear up the rambling I've written above, here's some issues:
>> (1) downloading PDFs and getting the bibliographical information easily
>> (2) keeping track of what I have and have not read
>> (3) keeping track of literature searching and paper-reading
>> (4) scheduling "papers to be written deadlines" re: CFPs, managing
>> large volumes of CFPs
>> (5) somehow integrating the "bibtools" package into all of this
>> (6) and also somehow integrating emacs' "org-mode"
>
> This sounds worthwhile to me; I've been aware of various online sources
> for references but haven't integrated them into my workflow.  One reason
> is that I don't know what tools are available; it sounds as if a package
> like this could help.

Yep. I of course feel kind of backwards going about talking about a
toolchain that doesn't necessarily entirely exist .. but at least it's
identifying some weakpoints that future packages might be able to
address?

> tellico (packaged for Debian) might be useful here.  Although it is a
> general purpose collection manager, a lot of effort has gone into
> bibliography management and online retrieval.

http://periapsis.org/tellico/

"""
Tellico is a KDE application for organizing your collections. It
provides default templates for books, bibliographies, videos, music,
video games, coins, stamps, trading cards, comic books, and wines.

Tellico allows you to enter your collection in a catalogue database,
saving many different properties like title, author, etc. Two
different views of your collection are shown. On the left, your
entries are grouped together by any field you like, allowing you to
see how many are in each group. On the right, selected fields are
shown in column format, allowing you to sort by any field. On the
bottom is a customizable HTML view of the current entry. The entry
editor is a dialog box where you enter the data. Check out the
screenshots.
"""

What do you mean by 'retrieval'? I don't see retrieval features
mentioned- although I also didn't see the PDF retrieval option the
first time I looked wrongly at Zotero, so it's possible I'm missing
something.

> This task bleeds into the general one of writing papers.  Since there
> are a lot of ways to write papers, and since different tools have
> different facilities for integrating citations, this could introduce a
> lot of diversity into this task.

It's been a while since I've looked at the TeX utilities.

> Similarly, there are a lot of online resources that could be integrated
> with.  medline and the science or social science citation index are some
> examples.

These interfaces tend to break, so I don't know what to do about them.
I can't keep up with breaking HTML forms and academic literature
scraping utilities, simply because I have other things to do with my
time. :-(

> There are also a lot of ways to get to those  online sources.  In my
> case, I need to go  to web vpn interface for our library, and access
> online sources through there (this is to get access to material that the
> university had to pay for).  I'm not sure if a generic VPN client would
> do.  My public library has a similar setup, though it doesn't require
> VPN.  It would be nice if there were tools that helped with this,
> although I wouldn't really expect general solutions to be possible.

I've found through Google Scholar and worldcat that university
libraries are actually fairly compliant with some standards, or at
least helping to disseminate information about their catalogs, and
then standard interfaces for querying through these databases to see
whether or not an item exists in another collection, such as for Inter
Library Loans (ILLs). But yes, it's poor form to assume these are
universally present at all universities. One online tool provided by
the University of Texas at Austin is a feature that is integrated into
Google Scholar to automatically "get" the paper by looking through a
backend list of subscriptions, and then providing some handy links
through the library's proxy server. (And when off-campus, most
universities have 'ezproxy' installed running on a Sun station, which
is something else to consider.)

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507