Re: Bibliography and File Management

On 14 Mar 2009, at 23:28, Bryan Bishop wrote:

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Benda Xu <heroxbd@gmail.com> wrote:
I have downloaded a lot of papers from the journals for reading and
reference. Although I tried to develop a naming scheme to organize the file (mostly PDF format), I run into chaos these days: I forget which is
which before actually open the files one by one.

Yes, I run in to this problem as well. I go on reading sprees of
hundreds of papers. Recently it was something like 200 papers and 150
MB re: microfluidics. BibTeX is nice, but not always a given. Google
Scholar allows you to export citations as you find paper search
results- perhaps it would be possible to write a userscript/javascript
hack that would automatically download the BibTeX citation as you
download a file? This way, you always keep track of information per
download. This is a hack, not a real solution, of course.

Another program to include (is it in squeeze?) is calibre. I use an ebook reader to read many papers and books; it keeps its own metadata and book / paper sets: the pdfs are kept in a filestystem (fine); some synchronisation of
the metadata and papers with a bibtex, etc. citation list would be good.

Another point: DOIs. Most (?) papers these days are labelled with a unique DOI (see dx.doi.org) . This could be used
as a pointer to the paper(s) and for labelling caches.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507