Re: sagemath 3.0.5 now in sid

giuliano curti <giulianc@tiscali.it> writes:

> On 12 Feb 2009 12:30:26 +0000
> Chris Walker <chrisw@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > Tim Abbott <tabbott@MIT.EDU> writes:
> >
> > > Hey all,
>
> [cut]
>
> > Great.
> >
> > Should I add it to the Numerical Computation task:
> >
> > http://blends.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/numericalcomputation.html
> >
> > This collects software like Matlab/IDL (and indeed includes octave and
> > gnudatalanguage clones of them.
>
> There was not Maxima: why?

Because AIUI, it is mainly for symbolic calculations. That's all I've
attempted to use if for. Does it have strong facilities for reading,
plotting and manipulating arrays of data?

> > I ask because it is the symbolic capabilities of sage that seem to be
> > highlighted in the documentation. Perhaps we should add a symbolic
> > maths metapackage too.
>
> Don't You think that the symbolic capabilities (Maxima, Sarge?)
> are different from numerical capabilities (scilab, yorick,
> octave) ?

Yes I do (and that's why I asked the question).

So, can someone tell me whether sagemath does (or does not) have
similar numerical capabilities to scilab/yoric/octave.

I'm also hopeing for a comment on whether I should create a symbolic
maths task - perhaps titled "Computer Algebra Systems" to contain
Axiom,Maxima,sympy,yacas as well as sagemath. Would there be other
packages that fit into this category? How would this category differ
from the mathematics task?

Chris