Re: new open science list

Following David's post about the new open-science list - I thought I'd clarify that the new list is primarily focused on open knowledge (publications, data, etc. see http://opendefinition.org) rather than on software. I believe it is very much complementary to the debian-science list!

One thing we're particularly interested in is 'packaging' relevant knowledge resources. Part of our effort in this direction is http://ckan.net. For more on this see:

* http://ur1.ca/55f (Rufus Pollock on open science. Excerpt: "We should be creating and sharing “packages” of data, using the same principles you see at work in Linux distributions — building a Debian of data...".)

* http://ur1.ca/0x8 (CKAN for open data. Excerpt: "CKAN is intended to be a community-driven resource to aid the discovery of (open) knowledge in the first instance, its automatic installation in the longer term, and ultimately to support its re-use by providing multiple download links, multiple formats, big datasets broken down into smaller components and so on.")

It would be great to work with any interested people on the debian-science!

Below is more background on the list...

Warm regards,

Jonathan