Re: offline mail writing (was Re: Debtags for science)

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 12:44:23PM +0200, Teemu Ikonen wrote:
> Sorry for off-topicness to the list subscribers, but this is a good
> example on why email on Unix sucks.
>
> Is there really not a simple /usr/sbin/sendmail -replacement which
> would just deliver local mail and send the rest using a webmail
> account (we're talking about a single user machine here)? Of course it
> should also buffer outgoing mail until network connection becomes
> available.

msmtp/msmtpqueue works quite nicely on my notebook. However, you need to
trigger the delivery yourself, which is a _good_ thing: at my university,
all smtp traffic must go via one host (virus scanning). From outside the
university, I use a different smtp host. How is any MTA supposed to know
which system to use for delivery (yes, all kind of 'which network I'm in
...' are possible).

> This kind of thing could be written in bash + python and ran from
> cron, instead of consuming several megabytes all the time like exim in
> Debian.
>
> Anyone heard of a mailer like this?

Apart from the automatic sending when network becomes available,
msmtpqueue does just that.

	Thomas