Re: does anyone know a substitution for CrystalMaker

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you are looking for, as I do not know
CrystalMaker, but here are some proposals based on the
education-chemistry task for visualizing molecules:

 http://viewmol.sourceforge.net/
 http://www.umass.edu/microbio/rasmol/
 http://easychem.sourceforge.net/
 http://pymol.sourceforge.net/
 http://www.uku.fi/~thassine/projects/ghemical/
 http://gdis.seul.org/
 http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/PovChem/

I would like to remember that there is a good overview about the chemistry
related packages at

     http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/edu/tasks/chemistry.html

which are listed as relevent for Debian Edu.  The list of Debian Science
is much more complete:

     http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/chemistry.html

I have no idea about the criteria which make a package fit for education
but some review might be interesting (for instance there is a Debian
packaged version of Avogadro which a hint was given to in this thread
listed on Debian Science).

If you know any other projects (packaged for Debian or not) which
might complete this list, just share your knowledge here.  I would
volunteer to complete the list if somebody points to an interesting
project.