Re: [Announce] New tasks web Bpages for all CDDs

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, Manuel Prinz wrote:

http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks_new/statistics.html lists a
"science-mathematics" meta-package. Is this intentional or a bug?

Well, not really a bug, but also not the final intention.  The problem
becomes even more visible in:

   http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks_new/biology.html

It is a workaround of the problem that we do not want to duplicate
Dpendency information.  So it would not make sense to maintain
science-biology (same with science-geography) if there is a strong
team that just maintains the dependencies.  Copying this would
sooner or later lead to some divergence.  So for the moment we
just add a suggestion against these packages.

Side note:  Quite high on top of my todo list is to split
Depends/Recommends from Suggests in the list of official packages
and list the first on top so the Suggests will be listed later which
makes things clearer.

Long term solution of the above problem:

   Meta-Depends: <VCS-URL to other tasks file>

That means for science-biology the tasks files med-bio and med-bio-dev
will be parsed and the resulting dependencies listed on the tasks page.
The same way science-mathematics can be parsed and the dependencies
listed at the statistics tasks page.  I do not know whether this was
the intended behaviour (because I did not edited the tasks file).  It
might be that the editor of science-statistics had exactly the Suggests
in mind and not the Meta-Depends feature which has to be implemented.

Side note 2: Getting the meta-depends feature for the web pages is
quite cheap compared to getting it into the meta package building
framework.  The later has to be rewritten as well (to handle arch
dependant meta packages) and once this rewrite is done the feature
can be implemented.  I see no chance to implement the feature in the
old system.

I really like the new design! Good work! :)

Thanks.  At least half of the thanks goes to Deavid Paleino who
actually did the first step and did the layout work which I just tried
to copy.