python-openopt (corrected address - reply to this one)

Please please pardon me -- I managed to mistype -python mailing list
email address. Resending now -- please reply to this email instead!

Hi to all Debian and Python lists.

I think that discussion is appropriate for both lists, thus please don't
hit me hard for cross-posting

Within your project we are going to make use of OpenOpt project
http://scipy.org/scipy/scikits/wiki/OpenOpt
which as you see is a part of scikits.

To don't duplicate the effort I decided first to check on the lists
(since there were no ITP yet): noone mentioned it before? made any
tentative package? is there an interest in having such a beast in Debian
(besides for our group)? may be someone aware of incompatibilities with
relevant python modules (eg scipy/numpy, though I didn't mention any at
sid box) we have in Debian now?

And pardon my ignorance if I am simply not aware of perspective efforts to
bring selected (compatible) subgroup of scikits into Debian in some uniform
packaging? (so if I package python-openopt then it shouldn't make
available openopt module but rather scikits.openopt)

Thank you in advance for clarifications
--
Yaroslav Halchenko
Research Assistant, Psychology Department, Rutgers-Newark