Re: Software for poster presentations

On Sun, 18 May 2008, Stuart Prescott wrote:

* openoffice impress or draw: I guess these would be the same as doing a
poster in powerpoint, with the same limitations. Does it work OK?

We mostly use this simply because our collaborators use powerpoint and this will do a pretty good job with that format. The biggest annoyance is that when we use it natively, we still can't use EPS figures and thus are limited by the pixellation in JPG or PNG formats.

[1] I frequently ask the same question when making presentations in latex with
latex-beamer... if my presentations were all text, beamer would be fantastic
for it, but since they tend to be all graphics, I find myself spending hours
fiddling with diagrams in tikz and wonder if this really is the right tool
for the job.

LyX works pretty well for presentations. I like it particularly because it handles EPS nicely and equations (for course lectures) come out nicely.

Cheers,

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics