Alioth project to use is pkg-science

Hi Sylvestre,

I rejected your debian-science project request because I simply don't see
the point of it compared to the existing pkg-science. You can do much more
than packaging even behind the pkg-science umbrella. pkg-science is just a
Unix group associated to the resources that you have available on
alioth.debian.org, you're free to use the name "Debian Science" in all the
rest of your communication...

Furthermore AFAIK debian-science@l.d.o never marketed itself as a custom Debian
distribution and as such a "debian-science" name is not really warranted.
And pkg-* is the norm for Alioth projects that deal mainly with packaging.

On Sat, 10 May 2008, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> > > Because we (a few people on debian-science) are thinking about creating
> > > a science group/task force for debian and some people think that
> > > pkg-science is too "packaging oriented" and too restrictived for this...
> > > (naming issues)
> >
> > ...what is important if what you do and how you advertise your group, the
> > unix name doesn't matter that much IMO. And a Debian Science task force
> > like any other group in Debian will have to deal mainly with packaging as
> > that what Debian is a about.
> Well, pkg-science would be enough for me but some people asked for it:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2008/05/msg00022.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2008/05/threads.html

What I see here is a lot of pointless discussions and lack of some
leadership to take a decision. As the pkg-science administrator, you
could have made it clear that your offered pkg-science as a generic
umbrella rather than suggesting people to use pkg-scicomp and maybe your
could have built some consensus sooner.

I hope that you can live with this decision (that I took in the place
of your group since there was no clear consensus). If in the end, if
you really decide together you want to get debian-science instead of
pkg-science, I'd ask you to open a support request ticket to resurrect
debian-science and delete pkg-science at the same time and I'd like this
request to be "sponsored" by two Debian developers to show there's some
momentum behind this rename.

Now please contentrate on real work instead of discussing the group
name. :-)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog