Re: debian and robotics

A Dijous 08 Maig 2008, Andreas Tille va escriure:
> On Wed, 7 May 2008, Leopold Palomo Avellaneda wrote:
> > The robotics area is very wide. To many kind of packages could go there,
>
> You should probably come up with a list of these many packages to gain the
> interest of people here.

Well, I'm working in an specific field of the robotics. But for example the
list could have:

- rtai
- xenomai
RTOS, both in debian now.

- rtnet, not in debian. Modules to have real time extension to the network.

- orocos, with debian packages but not in debian
- orca, not in debian
- roboop not in debian

- opencv , in debian
- comedi, in debian ... maybe a bit old?

- octave, coin3d, vtk, gnuplot, boost, opende
in debian

For collision detection, I think we have nothing. Maybe,
- d-collide

Also all the typical apps for the scientific write.

> > so, depends on the people, the interest, etc  the idea could be possible
> > or not.
>
> The idea is always possible. ;-)

:-)

> The question is rather whether enough people are willing to do the grunt
> work.  With the Debian Med project I gained the experience that starting
> with real work and presenting something that exists is the best way to
> convince people to join the project.  The amount of work I had to do for
> this project convinced me, that engaging in one CDD is work enough to
> not start another one myself - so I can hopefully be helpful but not
> on the top of the activities for some other CDD.  (As a physicist by
> profession I would feel competent for a Debian Physics CDD but I stay
> away from this job for simple time limitations.)
>
> > Also, I don't know how to put this in a debian-scince cdd.
>
> I would strongly advise to start with a tasks file inside debian-science
> like you can find in the SVN at
>
>     svn://svn.debian.org/cdd/projects/science/trunk/debian-science/tasks
>
> Just follow the scheme of the other tasks files and add the packages you
> consider relevant.  This might be a good test case whether there is really
> enough stuff for a separate Debian Robotics.

Ok, in the TODO list.

Thanks,

Leo