Re: Choose between TeXmacs and Auctex

At Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:44:21 -0400, Gary Pajer wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 5:10 PM, Hero_xbd!.RRR <heroxbd@sohu.com> wrote:
> >  Recently I find it hard to decide between TeXmacs and Auctex.
>
> Lately I've  been exploring LyX seriously.  I'm finding that Lyx is an

I'll strongly second Gary on the choice of LyX as an alternative worth
considering.

Although I do most of my writing in Emacs with auctex, and I highly
recommend this route if you "live" in Emacs most of time (as I do), I
do use LyX at times.  It does a great job at equations, tables,
figures, etc.  One great advantage of LyX is that it generates very
clean LaTex code which you can subsequently tinker with if
desired/necessary.  Also, LyX can be a great tool for learning LaTeX:
do what you need in LyX, export the document in LaTeX format and
explore!

I must admit that I never did get to grips with texmacs when I tried
it (many!) years ago.  My experience might be different now, of
course.

> The biggest problem for
> me with LyX is that it doesn't have the emacs key bindings, and my
> fingers know them quite well by now.

I agree although most are right and the majority of the rest can be
customised.  My main problem with the bindings is that all the other
bits of Emacs (calc-mode, maxima-mode, diary, ...) are not in LyX!
;-)