Re: Choose between TeXmacs and Auctex

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 5:10 PM, Hero_xbd!.RRR <heroxbd@sohu.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>  I am an undergraduate major in natural science. I am choosing a scientific
> paper editor for my remaining lifetime.
>  Recently I find it hard to decide between TeXmacs and Auctex.
>  I hope to have some advice from you gurus on the list.
>
>  For Auctex,
>
>   1. I live in Emacs, so Auctex is natural. Opening new TeXmacs window
>      is a bother.
>   2. In Auctex, I can fine tune everything in LaTeX. While in TeXmacs,
>      sometimes things go weird and hard to correct.
>   3. Auctex is fast, and is able to run on OLPC-XO -- I have the
>      potential to use it everywhere. TeXmacs is too slow.
>
>  For TeXmacs,
>
>   1. Formula editing is very efficient, I can even carry out my
>      deduction lively (and embedding CAS session, e.g. maxima). While
>      Auctex, even with preview, edits and prints formula in raw LaTeX.
>      It can be a nightmare deducing equations without a pencil on
>      Auctex -- and I am forced to interpret my reasoning into LaTeX.
>   2. Figure embedding is more friendly. With Auctex, my figure fly up
>      and down wildly -- maybe I am not familiar enough with raw LaTeX.
>
>  Hmmm. Maybe there should be a way to call a embedded TeXmacs instance
> fromwithin Auctex just to edit formulae and import figures.
>
>  If I am ignorant to some good ways to do things well. Please do point them
> out.
>
>  Thanks in advance.

I'm no guru (and perhaps you should ask from advice from real users, not gurus).
I use xemacs/aucTeX, but from time to time I ask myself the same
question that you ask.  I use TeXmacs for a while, but I never feel
comfortable with it, and I return to AucTeX.

Lately I've  been exploring LyX seriously.  I'm finding that Lyx is an
excellent choice for most purposes.  (It gives me trouble with tables,
but that might be because I'm still learning.) The biggest problem for
me with LyX is that it doesn't have the emacs key bindings, and my
fingers know them quite well by now.

But the decision is very personal.  There are lots of solutions, and
each one is loved by  someone somewhere.

hth,
gary