Re: desktop file main category for a scientific data viewer?

Am Dienstag, den 18.03.2008, 10:42 +0900 schrieb Charles Plessy:
> Le Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 04:00:16PM -0700, Jordan Mantha a écrit :
> >
> > I was going to send such a patch to add a "Science" main category but I
> > didn't want to do so until there was consensus around the name. It seems
> > like "Research" is now the favorite, is that correct?
>
> "favorite" is the word :) I do not like to propose to delay things, but
> how about a last round of discussion on -devel to be sure that it is
> "Research" is consensual?

The consensus must be reached on fd.o. I would start the discussion on
the fd.o list and just inform other parties. You can point to older
discussions in the Debian project related to the topic.

> It would give more weight to our proposal to FreeDestkop.org.

I really don't think so. You would need some kind of project decision
(guess a GR vote, ...) and not a discussion to really have a decision by
the Debian project and not just some individuals. But I don't think,
that such questions should be decided by a GR.

IMHO it will just waste your time to start a new discussion on a Debian
list.

Regards, Daniel