Re: desktop file main category for a scientific data viewer?

Carlo Segre wrote:

> Hi Thibaud:
>
> On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
>

>> So, should all science software really go under Education??? Or should
>> I use both Graphics;3DGraphics;Viewers *and*
>> Science;Astronomy;DataVisualization?
>>

> The consensus on the debian-science list is no.  Education is simply not
> the right category.  We have made several efforts to have this changed
> in the free desktop specification to no avail.  Some of us simply use an
> sensible category and let the lintian errors pile up until they come to
> their senses.

When were such efforts made and where? I've not seen any discussion
about scientific/research/technical menu additions on the fd.org xdg
mailing list since I last had a discussion in June of 2007 where it
seemed like they were quite willing to look at a patch. Note that I'm
not denying there were efforts, I just haven't seen them.

I was going to send such a patch to add a "Science" main category but I
didn't want to do so until there was consensus around the name. It seems
like "Research" is now the favorite, is that correct?

-Jordan