Re: [DebianGIS] DebianGis and DebianScience/Geography

Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> writes:

> On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Hamish wrote:
>
> > feel free to edit the wiki page; the geography meta-package is already
> > listed:

I still can't find a link to:

http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/gis/tasks/workstation.html - though there
is a link to the
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=education-geography
metapackage [1].

> >  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGis/PackageList
> >  (not all packages on that list are included in tasks)

There appear to be 3 lists: education-geography,science-geography and
gis-workstation (that nobody mentions, and I found from a previous
mail by Andreas).

I can see merit[2] in two - education-geography for schools, and one of
science-geography or gis-workstation for researchers.

> Anybody cares to maintain the tasks files?  Any reason for not touching the
> dasks files for one year? Any help needed?

Hamish suggested I edited the wiki - and it is possible I may find
time to do that - but I certainly can't do it until I know what the
wiki should say.

The obvious solutions to me are:

A) Do as is done for debian-med and have the science-geography task
   that depends on gis-workstation. In another mail, Andreas points to
   improvements that will allow #includes in metapackages in the not
   too distant future.

B) Just use the science-geography task (possibly renamed) and
     i) Get the DebianScience wiki page to point at
        http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGis
or
    ii) Move the contents of DebianGis to DebianScience/Geography

C) Something else.

Chris

[1] Andreas, perhaps you should also add a link to the task pages to
point to the corresponding metapackages.

[2] I'm a physicist, not a geographer, so I may well have completely
missed the point here.