Re: tasks overview wishlist: Canonical citing reference

Le Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 04:11:26PM +0200, Bernhard R. Link a écrit :

> I do not see why that should be different for example for the
> typesetting package or the computer algrebra system you use to do
> some matrix inversions.

Hi,

If we do not cite software made by academic developers, they will not
get a good evaluation and eventually lose their funding or even their
jobs. Pressure is high enough that some do not want to be packaged
because it lowers their download counter, which is another metric for
evaluation.

I write it caricaturally, but when authors ask to be cited, it is not
for vanity but for professional survival. Luckily, whith the advent of
electronic publication, there are less limits on the number of
references per article.

In the end, if people really prefer to work with this or that kernel, I
would not be shocked if it were mentinned somewhere in the article,
similarly to rock bands that indicate what gutar strings they use :)

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,