Re: DebianScience Unofficial Repository

Hi folks,

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Frederic Lehobey <Frederic@lehobey.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Chris Walker <chrisw@chiark.greenend.org.uk> (2008-07-12 17:41:41) :
>> While trying to update the DebianScience wiki, I have come across
>> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/UnofficialRepository. This
>> proposes an unofficial repository for Debian Science.

>  No real work has been achieved on the repository idea yet.

As one of the original people proposing the idea, guess I should chip
in a few words.  Unfortunately I'm way too busy to do much since
starting a new job a couple months ago.

I did set up an unofficial repository for CERN-related not-quite-free
software recently in collaboration with Axel Naumann. The intent was
to have a place where CERN can distribute .debs of scientific software
(mainly physics-related) in which it holds some copyright, whose
licenses haven't been properly vetted and which may not be entirely
DFSG-free. Clearly this isn't a general solution since people who can
directly upload to the repository are limited to those having CERN
accounts, and the intersection of that set with Debian folks is
probably not large. Currently the only packages available there are of
Geant4 and CLHEP.  A web site for the repository can be found at
http://lcg-heppkg.web.cern.ch/lcg-heppkg/debian/ -- note that the
packages here supersede the old Geant4 packages hosted on
borex.princeton.edu.  At some point I need to update the wiki page
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/Geant4 to reflect this.

best regards,

--
Kevin B. McCarty <kmccarty@gmail.com>