Re: {debian,pkg}-science repository [Was: Science linguistics and debian-science SVN repository at alioth]

CCed pkg-scicomp-devel

Am Donnerstag, den 08.05.2008, 15:18 +0200 schrieb Christophe
Prud'homme:

> | but I think we should not let the activity boil
> | down.  Would you take over the job to restructure either pkg-science
> | or start a debian-science repository?  I leave the choice of the name
> | to you and also the VCS system you prefer.  Just let something happen
> | and lets move on.  I will personally not work on the infrastructure
> | itself for time constraints but I'm keen to check in some package of
> | mine and want to enable the options for others to join a team.
> see my answer to Frederic's email.
> note that the work you have done for debian-med (web page) on the packaging
> policy is really nice. We are doing something along those lines in
> pkg-scicomp. I am ready to propose these policies to pkg-scicomp.

I just want to make a suggestion: tags should not be inside the packages
directory. It is IMHO better put outside, e.g.

package1/trunk/
package1/branches/
package2/trunk/
package2/branches/
[..]
tags/package1/
tags/package2/

Do you know, how large the pkg-scicomp repository currently is? A full
checkout (and this is what you are almost forced to do, if you try to
make some QA work [1], is about 2,5GB (especially because several
projects have the full source under VCS control)! So please move tags
outside, so the real working tree is much smaller. Or remove tags, that
are not useful after a while (maybe even really delete them in SVN).

[1] I did this for adding missing watch files, fixing control, ... it's
not yet fully committed for time constraints.

Regards, Daniel