Re: Fwd: Survey: utility of packaging Hipparcos star catalog?

On 2008.04.11 10:24:12 CEST, Fabien Chéreau wrote:
Hi Johannes,
This is a survey for our star expert!
Fabien

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kevin B. McCarty <kmccarty@debian.org>
Date: Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 1:16 AM
Subject: Survey: utility of packaging Hipparcos star catalog?
To: debian-science@lists.debian.org
Cc: celestia@packages.debian.org,
education-astronomy@packages.debian.org, kstars@packages.debian.org,
openuniverse@packages.debian.org, starplot@packages.debian.org,
stellarium@packages.debian.org, xorsa@packages.debian.org,
stardata-common-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org

Hi,

 you're receiving this email because you are either subscribed to
 debian-science or you maintain a package that was tagged
 "field::astronomy" and looked like it might be relevant.

I'm thinking of packaging the Hipparcos star catalog [1] for Debian. It
 is already included in the stellarium-data, celestia-common and
kstars-data packages [2,3,4] in some form, but it is in a binary format in the first two of these, and it seems to me that it might be useful to have the untouched original version available in a more general-purpose
 package.  Since users can easily download it themselves from [1], the
main point would be for use in Depends or Build-Depends(-Indep). Hence this survey. If you reply, please do so to debian-science@lists.debian.org.

 [1] http://cdsarc.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/Cat?I/239
 [2] http://packages.debian.org/sid/stellarium-data
 [3] http://packages.debian.org/sid/celestia-common
 [4] http://packages.debian.org/sid/kstars-data

* Question 0: Does (or can) the astronomy software you maintain make use
 of the Hipparcos data in any way?  (If not, there's no need to reply,
although you can of course weigh in anyway. Note, I consider the much larger Tycho catalog [5] to be separate and have no plan to package it.)

Stellarium itself cannot access the Hipparcos data directly, although all Hipparcos stars are required.

 [5] ftp://cdsarc.u-strasbg.fr/pub/cats/I/239/tyc_main.dat.gz

 * Question 1: Can your software make use of the Hipparcos catalog
exactly in its original format (the original version of the main file is
 at [6] for instance -- assume it would be gunzipped), with no
 transformation to a different format?

 [6] ftp://cdsarc.u-strasbg.fr/pub/cats/I/239/hip_main.dat.gz

The stellarium program cannot use the hipparcos catalogue in its original format.

* Question 2: If "no" to question 1, then is it possible to recreate the file(s) in the format used by your software from the raw Hipparcos data programmatically? For instance, if upstream has written a script that
 can automatically convert the hip_main.dat file to
 some_file(s)_your_program_reads.txt, perhaps with the help of some
 additional auxiliary input files.

 (I would assume that stellarium and celestia upstreams must have some
 way of generating /usr/share/stellarium/stars/default/*.cat and
 /usr/share/celestia/data/stars.dat, respectively, from the Hipparcos
files. Unfortunately it looks like the files in kstars-data were edited
 by hand to a large degree.)

For stellarium the *.cat files are generated in 3 steps by 3 seperate programs that are distributed in the util directory. Following input is required:
1) hip_main.dat,h_dm_com.dat (errata.htx is also taken into account)
2) Tycho
3) NOMAD (this is about 100GB)

* Question 3a: If "yes" to either question 1 or 2, would your software or transformative script/program be able to cope with the hip_main.dat
 file being split into several smaller files in the Debian-packaged
version? (I might do this in order to permit people who are low on disk
 space to install only the part of the catalog including, say, stars
 within 30 parsecs of Earth.)

hip_main.dat is such a tiny little file that I see no sense in splitting. Also note that the stars in Hipparcos are less then 0.1% of all the stars in stellarium. And no, the transformation program requires not some splitted files, but hip_main.dat,h_dm_com.dat from Hipparcos (plus Tycho and NOMAD).

* Question 3b: Does your answer to 3a depend on the exact way in which the hip_main.dat file is split up (i.e., which stars go into which piece)?

* Question 4: If "yes" to question 2, would it make more sense for you
 to (a) Build-Depend upon a Hipparcos catalog and generate your own
 foo-data Debian package, or (b) do the transformation on the user's
 computer in a postinst script at install-time?  The former has the
downside of filling ftp.debian.org with multiple copies of the Hipparcos catalog in various formats. The latter has the disadvantage of making
 the local admin wait, possibly for a long time, while the
package-specific version of the catalog is generated. There is support
 for the latter via the stardata-common package [7,8].

 [7] http://packages.debian.org/sid/stardata-common
 [8]
http://alioth.debian.org/plugins/scmcvs/cvsweb.php/stardata-common/doc/policy.txt?rev=1.1;content-type=text%2Fplain;cvsroot=stardata-common;only_with_tag=HEAD

I hope it has become clear by now that the Hipparcos catalog is far away from sufficient, when it comes to the amount of stars presented by contemporary astronomy programs. Even the stars[0123].cat that come with the basic distribution of stellarium, contain more than 4 times as many stars as the hipparcos catalog.

You can of course answer (c) "neither" to this question if you want to keep shipping the files that upstream provides in both your source and binary packages -- the Hipparcos catalog is basically public-domain so
 that's perfectly OK.

 Thanks very much for your time.

 best regards,

Yours,