Re: desktop file main category for a scientific data viewer?

> Kevin B. McCarty wrote:
>
> > Maybe one useful thing that can come from this overly wordy email would
> > be a suggestion that "Research" be added as a recognized Free Desktop
> > category.  Anyone have any feelings about that?

Dear all,

I think that Kevin really had a good idea that is exploring a different
direction than the variations on the "Science, techniques an
engeneering" proposed previously.

A "Research" category would be similar in concept to the already
existing (Software-)"Development" category, in the sense that they both
represent professional occupations. Professional tools are occasionally
used for training, but they have more users outside of schools, and this
is the case of the programs that we would like to move out of the
"Education" category.

Since this proposition is quite different from others, I would really be
happy if there could be more comments. If we reach a consensus on
debian-science, we could then expand the discussion on -mentors again,
before contacting the GNOME, KDE and Xfce4 teams.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian-Med packaging team