Please test new experimental packages of Cernlib 2006

Dear list (but mainly of interest to physicists, probably),

CERN released Cernlib version 2006 at the end of last year.  I've
finally had the time to finish packaging it, including PAW and Monte
Carlo libs.  Main upstream changes included addition of an SVG output
driver in HIGZ (workstation type "-779") [1], upstream support for
gfortran [2], and shipping of all Cernlib source code in one big
tarball.  I've also made a lot of changes in the Debian packaging, as
listed below [3] and in much more detail in the packages'
changelog.Debian files.

If anyone would like to test out the new .debs, I've uploaded them to
"experimental", but they have to get through NEW which may take up to a
month.  In the meantime, you can obtain them (for i386 and amd64) in Sid
with the following entry in /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://borex.princeton.edu/~kmccarty/ sid cernlib-2006
deb-src http://borex.princeton.edu/~kmccarty/ sid cernlib-2006

Regarding cautions on the use of Cernlib on amd64, please refer to [4].

Please let me know (kmccarty at debian.org, or this address) if you find
any new bugs that are not present in the 2005 packages in Etch/Sid.  (If
you find unreported bugs that are present in both 2005 and 2006
packages, or only in 2005 packages, of course it would be better to file
a report in the BTS.)

These 2006 packages should also be installable on Etch, although they
will definitely not make it into the Etch release.

Note, there are no new packages of GEANT 3.21 since upstream basically
did not touch the source code for it in the 2006 Cernlib release.

[1] I have not tested the SVG support at all.

[2] Cernlib is still built with g77 for Debian and will continue to be
until we undergo a g77 -> gfortran library transition.  If you wish to
try rebuilding it with gfortran, see this URL:
http://people.debian.org/~kmccarty/cernlib/faq.html#26

[3] User-visible Debian packaging changes include the following:

- New binary .deb "cernlib-base-dev" split off to include m4 and imake
macros and "cernlib" dependency script, originally in cernlib-base, that
aren't needed by (e.g.) PAW users.
- VIM syntax highlighting for KUMAC and CDF files added in cernlib-base
package.
- Paw++ built against external Xbae and Xaw packages rather than using
obsolete internal versions of code from those libraries.
- Removed "paw-static" and "paw++-static" dummy transition packages.

[4] http://people.debian.org/~kmccarty/cernlib/faq.html#41

best regards,