Re: debian-science and science-* packages

On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 14:34 +0200, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> Le 27 août 07 à 08:04, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> >
> >>      * The `-astronomy' package should also depend on what-ever
> > while the later contains developent libraries etc.  In this case
> > most probably IDL would go into the science-astronomy-dev dependency
> > list.
> >

> I think not, it's an interpreted language.

Just goes to show how much I know :-)  But, isn't there a (proprietary)
compiler for IDL?

> I would compare with
> Yorick (which I know better ;-) : the yorick-dev package contains
> what you need to develop yorick plugins,

Is that compiled "Yorick" or compiled C/C++/... ?

> On the other hand, IDL/GDL, yorick and a few others are really
> general tools, so a "science-general" or "-common" could be a better
> idea.

Erhm, doesn't that really depend on use-cases.  For example, I've never
heard of people using Yorick or IDL in High Energy Physics (HEP), but I
know the astronomers swear by IDL, and more or less vice versa for C++.
Python seems to be popular in some areas of HEP, and Ruby has some users
too.  The HEP theorists use what-ever symbolic manipulation they can get
their hands on, since they are mostly doing Mathematics anyways (in some
M-dimensional space un-fathomable and un-measurable to anyone but the
theorists themselves :-)

The problem could be, that `-physics' is just a tad too broad - maybe
(and only maybe) it needs to be split up into parts (-nanoscience, -hep,
-theory, -bio, -solid, ...) with some `-physics-common' recommended
package.  A further complication is, that at least in some sub-branches,
there's a major difference in what experimentalist and theorists use.
Experimentalists will probably get the `-dev' packages much more often
than the theorists.

On the other hand we could also use the DebTAGS mechanism more
aggressively.  In fact, we could use the DebTAGS as a "voting machine"
for what goes were, with the added benefit that the tags will be there
to be used.

Just my 2 ¢

Yours,

--
 ___  |  Christian Holm Christensen
    | |  Address: Sankt Hansgade 23, 1. th.  Phone:  (+45) 35 35 96 91
     _|           DK-2200 Copenhagen N       Cell:   (+45) 24 61 85 91
    _|            Denmark                    Office: (+45) 353  25 404
 ____|   Email:   cholm@nbi.dk               Web:    www.nbi.dk/~cholm
 | |