Re: Desktop menu categories

Le Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 06:02:55PM -0700, Jordan Mantha a écrit :

> I wrote the freedesktop.org xdg mailing list about this issue back in
> June [1]. My proposal was to romote Science to a main category. There
> was concern about how to deal with legacy  issues. What happens if
> somebody installs a .desktop on an "older" distro (say etch or Fedora
> Core 6)?

Hi all,

I think that I do not get the point : isn't the concept of a distro to
install programs through packages? If somebody backports a recent
program to FC6 or Debian Etch, then it is straightforward to patch the
.desktop file to add `Application' back.

Similarly, if there is a consensus in Debian that we should use
`Science' instead of `Education' (by the way, I agree with this), we
could start as soon as it is confirmed that it is technically possible
to do this in GNOME, KDE and XFCE4 (I am not aware of other windows
managers using the FreeDesktop menus). We just have to patch the
.desktop files we distribute.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy