Desktop menu categories

I was just looking through the menu and .desktop file categories so that I could bring my packages into compliance with the latest version of lintian in unstable. The menu files work OK with

Applications/Science/Data Analysis

for a section but the .desktop categories are really problematic. In order to avoid the lintian error, I had to put the categories as

Education;Science;DataVisualization

The requirement is to have a main category and a subcategory. The subcategories are already associated with main categories and "Science" and "DataVisualization" are both required to be associated with "Education". I think that this is definitely a problem because many data analysis packages aren't really appropriate in an Education category.

The details of the freedesktop specification of categories is at:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/1.0/apa.html

Does anyone have suggestions as to how to get this changed?

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics
Illinois Institute of Technology