software for generating image files from gridded arrays of data?

I need a simple way to turn an array of data values into
a picture. I think I once did this with imagemagick but
when I looked at the documentation yesterday almost none
of the documentation was familiar, as if there has been
a major redirection of the project. Can I use the
imagemagick that is in Etch? How? Or is there a different
package that can start with data

I remember that imagemagick had a way of treating a
binary file as raw image, and allowed one to tell it
the image size with command options, but I couldn't
find it documented in the current version. Is my
memory simply faulty? Was it some other software?

I generate the data from several existing sources of
gridded geographic data, e.g. USGS, NASA, USDOE. But
I want, for each data set, a picture and a matching
collection of numeric data, free of image formatting.

Paul E Condon