Re: libimf.so

On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 11:56 -0600, Carlo Segre wrote:
> Hi Frencesco:
>
> If you could tell us a bit more details on the application your are
> installing and where you get it, that would help.  It is likely that you
> are installing a program which has been compiled for Intel architecture on
> your amd64 machine.  Likely the Intel compiler would build for the i386
> libraries only (they wouldn't support an AMD chip in native mode, would
> they?).  in addition, you are running amd64 which makes the chip
> incompatible with Intel.  If you put an i386 distribution on your machine,
> it is possible that the program will run.  I could test it but I need to
> know which program you are using.

jms@zuse:~$ icc orly.c -o orly.out
jms@zuse:~$ file orly.out
orly.out: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for
GNU/Linux 2.4.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
jms@zuse:~$ grep "model name" /proc/cpuinfo | uniq
model name      :                   Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz
jms@zuse:~$ ./orly.out
O RLY?
jms@zuse:~$ md5sum orly.out
448ce0742d2c6492578a50fb28ebf6ca  orly.out

jms@konrad:~$ md5sum /home/zuse/system/jms/orly.out
448ce0742d2c6492578a50fb28ebf6ca  /home/zuse/system/jms/orly.out
jms@konrad:~$ grep "model name" /proc/cpuinfo | uniq
model name      : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 246
jms@konrad:~$ /home/zuse/system/jms/orly.out
O RLY?

Intel EM64T is, with limited exceptions, compatible with AMD64. Only
when enabling some of the more advanced compiler flags does
compatibility break - this applies to not only the Intel compilers, but
Absoft, Portland, Pathscale, GNU, Sun, and others.