Re: java

--- Egon Willighagen <ewilligh@uni-koeln.de> wrote:

> Hi Francesco,
>
> On Thursday 11 January 2007 17:06, Francesco Pietra
> wrote:
> > Has anyone tried to run jmol 11.0.RC4
> (SourceForge)?
> > Which java >=4 package? Is java runtime from
> debian
> > repositories ok to this purpose? Or which java
> from
> > Sun?
>
> Sun 1.4 or better is fine.

Hi Egon:
I see at
http://www.java.com/en/download/
JRE vers. 5.0 update 10
either as a rpm package (thus, not for debian)
or self-extracting
filename "jre-1_5_0_10-linux-i586.bin"
I must confess I am unfamiliar with installations of
the latter type of file.

> Classpath 0.9x can run it too, but generally is
> slower, see [1].

Slower would not be a problem for simply inspecting
the molecular structure and getting the geometric
data: angles, dih angles and bond lengths, which is my
aim.

> > Sorry for asking about something non-free,
>
> Jmol really is contrib, it's GPL. Since it actually
> compiles and runs with
> free Java tools, it could even be main already.
>
> > though jmol
> > would solve problems of viewing (and getting
> geometric
> > parameters) in carrying out work chemical
> computing.
>
> The deb packages for Jmol 10.00 can be downloaded
> from:
>
> http://debian.wgdd.de/debian/

Unfortunately, it is only version 11 that is said to
work with NWChem, which is of my present concern (for
MPQC I am already OK).
Therefore, can jmol from www.jmol.org
filename "jmol-11.0.RCA-binary.tar.gz"
be run on debian i386 etch (or amd64 etch)?

Thanks
francesco pietra

1.http://developer.classpath.org/mediation/FreeSwingTestApps

> --