Re: How much interest in a "debian-science.org" repository?

Am Mittwoch, den 19.07.2006, 18:36 +0200 schrieb Frederic Lehobey:

[..]
> > I was talking to Brett Viren about the possibility to host CLHEP and
> > GEANT4 .debs at his site, maintaining a repository for unofficial
> > physics related packages.  So the question is, would other Debian
> > Scientists, in fields other than physics, also be interested in using
> > this repository?
> >
> > The idea needs a lot of setup so probably not much will happen
> > immediately; this email is mainly to gauge the amount of interest.
>
> I had in my plans to investigate reprepro and mini-dinstall to see if
> they could fit our needs (multiple uploaders...).

Believe me, mini-dinstall will not fit the needs of such a project. I'm
also not sure, that reprepro will. AFAIK it was not designed to handle
remotely uploaded packages. But I was told, that someone developed a
script to handle this. Maybe you should ask Bernhard R. Link about this.
Personally I have my own remote repository realized with debarchiver.
But this uses a non-pooled architecture. debpool is a similar
application, but missed some features (especially in the incoming
queue). There was a long discussion between the debpool and debarchiver
maintainers and supporters (and another discussion on
debian-user-german) to improve or merge both applications. But this is
still "work-in-progress" or has been dropped (not sure). So IMHO dak is
the only alternative.

> I have some
> experience with dak but it is not so easy to setup properly (and the
> current package in the archive is in need of care).

Does mentors.debian.net or debian-unofficial.org use dak? Then we could
ask their maintainers for some help/knowledge tranfer.

Regards, Daniel