Re: What is "disclaiming" a copyright ?

Hello,

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Charles Plessy wrote:
> What is the meaning of the following ?
>
> " Burkhard Morgenstern hereby disclaims all copyright interest in
>     DIALIGN, written by Burkhard Morgenstern and Said Abdeddaim."

> I suspect that one of the copyright owners gives its rights to the other
> one, but which one ?

This statement indicates that:

(a) the program DALIGN was written by Burkhard Morgenstern and Said
    Abdeddaim.
(b) the author Burkhard Morgenstern waives his copyright.

This still does not provide a copyright statement unless the second
author:

1. Also waives his copyright in which case the program goes into
   the public domain.

or (exclusive)

2. Asserts his copyright and provides a license under which others
   are allowed to make use of the program.

I am not a lawyer or even a regular on debian-legal so you should
probably check this with others.

Regards,

Kapil.