Re: What is "disclaiming" a copyright ?

Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> writes:

> What is the meaning of the following ?
>
> " Burkhard Morgenstern hereby disclaims all copyright interest in
>     DIALIGN, written by Burkhard Morgenstern and Said Abdeddaim."
>

> I suspect that one of the copyright owners gives its rights to the other
> one, but which one ?

I think you are correct.

I have seen in several copyright discussions that if there is no
explicit copyright statement the default is that there are no rights
to distribute (of course, this may just be perpetuating a myth).  Is
there any similar statement from the second author?

In any case it is probably best to post this question on debian-legal.

-Brett.