Re: alternatives to gnuplot ?

so you got python + eclipse + pyx as shipped with Debian and only what
you had to install is pydev, is that correct?

Almost.  Pydev can be installed directly from eclipse using its add-in manager, check out:
http://www.fabioz.com/pydev/manual_101_root.html
In addition, I had to install pyx in  a "Non Debian way" because it defaults to having TeTeX as a dependency and I use texlive which is a more complete and flexible TeX installation.  You can retrieve the .deb  for texlive directly from CTAN:
deb http://www.tug.org/texlive/Debian/ pool/
deb-src http://www.tug.org/texlive/Debian/ pool/
>From my experience texlive is better for a single user install and others have said that TeTeX is better for a multi-user server, but that might change in the future as texlive is more modular so can be installed as a working TeX installation with custom abilities and a smaller footprint.

did anyone track down why really pydev is not in Debian yet? I am
an emacs guy but I might consider proper IDE...

There is

#316731: ITP: pydev -- eclipse plugin for python development
Package: wnpp; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de>; 278 days old.

If you are seriously interested in getting away from emacs, try out Leo (also hard to google).  It is a very very useful program that I use for EVERYTHING.  It literally changed the way I compute.
You can download it from:  (also not in Debian) http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/
Or check out its homepage: http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html. Which includes testimonials such as:

"I think you're really showing what open source can do and your current trajectory puts you on track to kick Emacs into the dustbin of computing history." -- Dan Winkler

As a Debian USER (read weak programmer), I am not trying to advertise this program, only share what really works.