Re: wannabe package maintainer

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 09:07:51AM -0700, Ranjan Grover wrote:
> > Why don't you just add the necessary -dev packages to build-depends?
>
> The build-depends is generated through these macros in the debian/control file
No; the runtime depends are substituted for those variables.

And even if the variables don't expand to the full runtime
dependencies, you would have to add those which weren't found for you
automatically.

Build-Depends is generated by you; the following tools from the
devscripts package might be useful:

dpkg-depcheck (1)    - determine packages used to execute a command
dpkg-genbuilddeps (1) - generate a list of packages used to build this package

> So, I'm not really doing anything as far as entering dependencies goes.
This is a policy requirement, of course.  Nobody wants to install a
package, and have it crash when they run it due to some obscure
undefined symbol in a library which isn't listed in Depends, say,
because it is unconditionally dlopen()ed.

> There are no dev packages needed for buildng on sid.
If you're using something like a "gl-dev" library, then such a package
is certainly necessary.  (You might already have it installed,
though).

> I don't really have a sarge machine handy so I cant' test it out
> myself.
You can, actually, check out the pbuilder package, and how to compile
in a chroot.

Note that the suggestion is to list all direct build-deps, not the
minimal set necessary to pull in all direct deps.

> BTW, were you able to build it okay on your system?
I haven't tried yet.

Justin