FORTRAN common blocks

Although I realize that this is a science, not a programming list, I
thought there was a chance someone might be able to help.

I have some code which is a mix of C++ and FORTRAN (for legacy code and
API reasons) and has some COMMON blocks. Strangely, I don't seem to be
able to write to the right place with the C code or vice versa.

I can't work out how to get tools like GDB to give me the memory address
of the fortran common block (from fortran's point of view) to check that
everyone's looking in the same place. Even the assembler looks strange.

Has anyone had a similar problem before and can anyone suggest a
tool/approach that might give me some more info?

Many thanks,

Rupert Swarbrick

P.S. If there's a mailing list more appropriate for me to post on,
please let me know.