Re: New source and binary Debian packages for ROOT.

I wrote:

> Incidentally I suggest only installing libHbook.so.5.09 (and symlinks to
> it) on 32-bit architectures.  I'm very dubious that it would work
> correctly on 64-bit arches, although I haven't tested.  You could still build
> g2root and h2root, but I recommend linking them statically against
> packlib and kernlib.

I should probably describe the basic problem more clearly, I realize.

The handling of RZ files by packlib uses the assumption that pointers
fit into 32-bit ints, which is in general not true on 64-bit arches.  But
at least on AMD64, there is a way (Harald Vogt's patches, which are
applied in Debian) to work around this.  However the workaround only
works when packlib is statically linked into an executable.  So when linked
from the libHbook.so plugin which is dynamically loaded at runtime, I
don't think it could work at all.  (Leaving aside the problem that doing so
would require a libpacklib_pic.a file...) When statically linked from g2root
and h2root it ought to be OK on amd64 though.

It's also possible (I haven't checked) that libHbook.so re-implements
reading RZ files independently of the Cernlib implementation in
libpacklib and does so in a 64-bit clean way, in which case my objections
would only apply to h2root and g2root.