Re: [HS]Re: Ubuntu patches for DDs

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 07:46:36AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote :

> >I appologise for possibly feeding a troll, but does that mean that there
>
> I'm sorry Michael is certainly no troll at all, but one of a view very
> active Debian developers who care for scientific packages.

Dear Andreas and Michael,

I am really sorry for the misunderstanding: by "troll", I was referring
to a thread of discussion, as we usually do in french. Not to Michael.

> >is some intellecutal property on the packaging work made by Canonical
> >employees as part of their paid work [1], or that there is no time for
> >giving the package to a developper who is willing to adopt it ?
>
> You are asking whether Ubuntu is violating Free Software principles?

Actually, not.

I was directly asking wether Canonical had an IP (intellectual property)
policy or not. As an academic scientist, I find that kind of question
more and more important: we are moving from a "who owns the credit for
the discovery?" to a "who owns the IP on the discovery?" paradigm. This
makes me curious about how IP is managed in companies which, like
Canonical, put a strong emphasis on "freedom". There are unfortunately a
lot of pressures to limit freedom - one just has to see how many
scientific packages are in the "non-free" to understand that the
academic world is not free of them neither.

Best,

--
Charles