Re: New Debian ROOT (5.09/01) packages for i386 unstable

Hi Christian,

On 1/11/06, Christian Holm Christensen <cholm@nbi.dk> wrote:

> This last update had some problems as some of you've kindly observed.
> I've uploaded a new revision.   This should fix the problems
> hopefully.

I had some problems with "apt-get build-dep root" such as:

Note, selecting libxmlrpc-c3-dev instead of libxmlrpc-c-dev
Note, selecting libldap2-dev instead of libldap-dev
Package libmysqlclient-dev is a virtual package provided by:
  libmysqlclient12-dev 4.0.24-10sarge1
  libmysqlclient10-dev 3.23.56-3
You should explicitly select one to install.
Package libqt3-dev is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
  qt3-qtconfig qt3-linguist qt3-dev-tools-embedded qt3-dev-tools-compat
  qt3-dev-tools qt3-designer qt3-assistant qt3-apps-dev libqt3-mt-dev
  libqt3-headers libqt3-compat-headers

I think this is because your debian/control Build-Depends line
contains a bunch of things like <virtual-package> | <real-package>
rather than <real-package> | <virtual-package>; that probably ought to
be fixed.

I worked around the problem by installing (by hand)
libmysqlclient12-dev, libqt3-mt-dev, and all the packages that
"apt-get build-dep root" said it wanted to install.  Now I'm trying to
build 5.09.01-2 on an amd64 box -- I'll let you know how it turns out.

>         Unpacking root-common (from .../root-common_5.09.01-2_all.deb) ...
>         dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/root-common_5.09.01-2_all.deb (--unpack):
>          trying to overwrite `/etc/root/pdg_table.txt', which is also in package libroot5.09
>         dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)

Good thing you moved that while the packages are still unofficial --
it's not clear whether it is even possible to safely move conffiles
between official packages (which is why the xlibs metapackage still
contains xkb data). :-)

best regards,