Re: 'GNU Data Language', a GPL'ed IDL variant

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Carlo Segre wrote:

> Dirk:
>
> I had not heard of this but have been looking for an IDL replacement.  If
> it has a python interface, even better.

You might also consider to go straight to python
by using Numeric or numarray (soon to be superseeded
by `numpy`) for Array operations
together with scipy (http://www.scipy.org) and
- matplotlib http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/
  for very nice 2D plotting
- MayaVi (http://mayavi.sourceforge.net/)
  or MayaVi2 (http://www.enthought.com/enthought/wiki/MayaVi,
  under development)
  for 3D Visualization
- HDF5: http://pytables.sourceforge.net/
- wxPython/pyQt/pyGTK

I think that all the above (apart from MayaVi2) is already
in Quantian (and therefore exists as debian packages ...)

Best,

Arnd