Re: How much interest in a "debian-science.org" repository?

Brett Viren wrote:
> "Kevin B. McCarty" <kmccarty@Princeton.EDU> writes:
>
>> I personally don't have anywhere to host such a repository.  (My
>> post-doc is up in April so I will probably lose the use of the machine
>> currently hosting my Geant4 .debs.)  Not to put words in his mouth, but
>> I understand that Brett Viren has space, but (as a national lab
>> employee) is highly sensitive to the need for legal vetting of
>> everything distributed from his web space.
>
> Yes, I'm still up for this, although I've been too busy of late to
> push forward.
>
> I especially (selfishly) would like to make sure your current, and
> hopefully future, Geant4 packages have a home.

Hmm, just noticed Geant4 released version 8.2 last week.  More packaging
fun ahead!  I'll have to see how they manage building against CLHEP
2.0.3.1, since HepMC/HepPDT/StdHep have migrated out of CLHEP but if I
remember correctly, Geant4 8.1 depended upon at least one of those.

Since Geant4 depends upon CLHEP (currently one of those
legal-status-unclear packages), you may also wish to contact James
Ferrando (ferrando at mail dot desy dot de).  I think he has obtained
blanket permission to distribute CLHEP .debs, and maybe you could look
into the BNL repo doing the same?  (I confess that I am distributing the
same CLHEP .debs for convenience of Geant4 users, without having
obtained explicit permission.  Since they are byte-for-byte identical to
James', and indeed I built some of the ones available from his repo, I
hope this prevents anyone from wanting to sue me.)

> I think we can work something out to allow you secure uploads.  But,
> growing beyond that I need to find some time to look into the repo
> tools that came up last time we discussed this.

That would be great.  I've been playing a little with reprepro and it
seems worth looking into, by the way.

best regards,