Re: New release of Debian ROOT packages - Development Snapshot

Hi Frank,

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 17:27 +0100, Frank Siegert wrote:
> Hi Chistian,
>
> Christian Holm Christensen wrote:
> As you were asking for feedback from Ubuntu users:

Yes! Thanks.

> Ubuntu Edgy (6.10):
> Adding your mentioned deb-src line to /etc/apt/sources.list and
> issuing "apt-src install -b root" builds all .debs fine. They install and
> work as expected in a trivial test. I moved them online, in case you want to
> retrieve them and put them online somewhere yourself:
>   http://141.30.17.189/fsiegert/ubuntu-root/5.13.05-5/edgy

Thanks.  I've posted them with a separate line

        deb http://mirror.phy.bnl.gov/debian-root edgy root

for the benefit of Ubuntu users.  You are properly thank'ed :-)

Whow, that line was fast - up to 35 MB/s!  A traceroute showed no more
than 33 ms reponse time from Copenhagen.  Ah, life is good on the
research network of Europe.

> Ubuntu Dapper (6.06):
> dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies:
>   debhelper (>= 5.0.37.2) available is: 5.0.7ubuntu13
>   python-support (>= 0.3) available is: 0.1.1ubuntu1
> I tried to naively remove those version dependencies, but it seems like they
> are really needed (note e.g. line 12):
>   http://141.30.17.189/fsiegert/ubuntu-root/5.13.05-5/dapper/log

Yep, I think it is fair to assume that the builds will not work on
Debian stable or Ubuntu old-stable (see
http://www.ubuntu.com/news/610released).  It works on Debian testing
(soon to be stable) as verified by another builder.

> If you ping me a day or two before you need them, I'd be
> glad to also build those packages for Edgy (and Dapper?) in the future, so
> that you can provide them in your repository.

Thanks.  I'll keep that in mind.  However, we plan to upload to Debian
really soon, so hopefully the auto-builders of Debian an Ubuntu will
kick in :-)

> But since I don't have any
> Debian packaging experience, I cannot resolve problems like the one above.

OK.

> PS: I am neither subscribed to debian-science nor to ubuntu-science, so please
> CC me.

OK.

Thanks again for the test and build.

Yours,

--
 ___  |  Christian Holm Christensen
    | |  Address: Sankt Hansgade 23, 1. th.  Phone:  (+45) 35 35 96 91
     _|           DK-2200 Copenhagen N       Cell:   (+45) 24 61 85 91
    _|            Denmark                    Office: (+45) 353  25 404
 ____|   Email:   cholm@nbi.dk               Web:    www.nbi.dk/~cholm
 | |