Re: Which tool for schematic 2D plotting of 3D data?

I want to do some 2D visualisation of 3D data and wonder whether
some tools exist to help me in the task. I have 3D data (atomic coordinates)

If these are scanning probe microscopy images from a commerically
available, try Gwyddion (FOSS). You can download source/deb packages
at www.gwyddion.net. If this is home-built or some other kind of data,
you may need to write a plugin to open the fille within gwyddion. The
developer docs explain quite  clearly on how to do this.

At some point of time after I graduate and have more time, I intend to
support it on the offical apt archive. Right now, building it from
source/downloading deb files is your only option.

and want to generate some schematic plots in 2D, basically things like
projections along an axis. For instance I would like to "extract" via a
2D plot the contour of my molecule. If I were to do this without tools, I could
eg try postscript and calculate the arcs that make up this contour. However
I would rather avoid doing this from scratch.

Yes, it can do contour maps if you choose the right scheme to
represent the data. You can also have color maps and such. This is
quite easy, and if you can import the data, using different schemes is
quite intuitive and menu based. It can also extract profiles and other
things of that sort. The documentation for the basic operation is
quite good but if there is anything specific, you might need to
explore/ get on the gwyddion-users list. Good luck!

cheers
Ranjan

Is there any utility that can help with such a task?

Thanks in advance,
  Marc Baaden

--
 Dr. Marc Baaden  - Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique, Paris
 mailto:baaden@smplinux.de      -      http://www.baaden.ibpc.fr