A problem with PAW variables - looking for suggestions

Dear PAW fans and authors,

If you have the time, please direct your attention to Debian bug #374978:

http://bugs.debian.org/374978

and let me know if you have any comments.  The basic problem (see the
last email of mine that went to that bug report) is that it is possible
for names of functions and COMMON blocks in system libraries to clash
with user variables in PAW and override them.  Any suggestions for how
to fix this (other than the ugly workaround I suggested in that last
email of ignoring symbols named "x_" and "y_") would be welcome.

PAW authors, please notice that the problem is a little more severe for
the Debian version of PAW (due to the existence of Cern libraries
compiled as dynamic libraries, meaning that there are more functions and
COMMON blocks available to clash with user variable names) but can also
be triggered with the statically linked PAW (I tested it to be sure).

best regards,