Re: root on ppc: 403 forbiden

Hi all,

On 17 Jun 2006 18:26:02 +0200, Thomas Walter <t.walter@nefkom.net> wrote:
Hello,

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 15:05, Yannick patois wrote:

> I fist had a look at this libmysqlclient15 dependency, and was stuck:
> seems that no package by that name exists...
>
> It does work on ix86 but on ppc it fails (libmysqlclient15 neither
> exists on ix86...).
>
> Any help? Thanks.

Hmm, that's really interesting.  By the way, I'm an ix86 platform user.
Before upgrading to a new mysql or postgres version I try to see and
understand the differences.  And the steps to do to use the new
functionality on the existing data.

A quick check in the changelog for mysql-dfsg-5.0 gives:
libmysqlclient15 was renamed into libmysqlclient15off in march this year
due to binary incompatible changes.

Could this mean, even a re-compile of clients using this library is not
enough?

The ABI of the library changed, but not the soname, API, or name of
the -dev package, for somewhat complicated reasons that I think were
discussed on debian-release at some point:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2006/03/msg00079.html
(see also Steve Langasek's reply.)

So it should suffice for ROOT packages to be recompiled against an
updated libmysqlclient15-dev package.  (If ROOT were already in
Debian, a simple email to debian-release asking for a binary NMU would
have worked.)  Christian, will you have a chance to do that in the
near future?

best regards,